I sometimes have read whinings that I do not allow dissenting points of view here. This is very true. There are certain “dissenting points of view” which will not find their expression on my blog. They are as follows:
- Defenses of pornography. Defend pornography on your own blog or in any one of the multiplicity of venues available for defenses of pornography. Here? No. This is a radical feminist blog. I oppose pornography with every fiber of my being, as do most of the women here.
- Defenses of prostitution as a matter of “choice” or as “empowering”. You may make these defenses on all sorts of blogs and websites and in the mainstream media. You will never make those defenses here, on my blog, because those defenses cause deep harm to the thousands and millions of children and women who are forced into prostitution and trafficked as sex slaves throughout the world. Those defenses aid and abet pimps, procurers, johns, sex traffickers, and the pornography industry. You will never see them approved or entertained here. Never.
- Defenses of sadomasochism as liberating, empowering, or good, whether it occurs in the course of sexual intimacy of any kind, in “scenes”, in “play parties,” between fundamentalist men and their wives, in marriage, out of marriage, in relationships, in friendships, overt, covert, unapologetic, unrecognized, none of it is going to be defended here. Sadomasochistic relationships are at the heart of the systems, institutions, mechanisms, dynamics, social orders which have created the world as we know it, teetering on the brink of annihilation. Whether it is the sadomasochism inherent in war, imperialism, colonialism, conquest, fundamentalisms of all kinds, sexism, racism, classism, lesbophobia, transphobia, abuse of children disguised as “discipline,” abuse of animals, abuse of the planet, seas, mountains, skies, earth, or whether it is sadomasochism in intimate relationships between individuals, all of it, because it is about dominance and subordination, about some groups subjugating others, harms human beings, creatures, and the earth, it participates in the destruction of beneficent life on the earth, and so I oppose it. It will not be defended here. Defend it elsewhere.
- Defenses of males as oppressed (as males) or accusations that feminists are “sexists” or “misandrists”. Read. Study. Learn which sex, far and away, owns the world’s wealth, runs the world’s corporations, heads the world’s governments, religious organizations, judicial systems, academic institutions. Learn who rapes and who is raped, who batters and who is battered (and for that you might take a look at Stormy’s link from yesterday). Learn your history. I will not be welcoming “dissenting opinions” about men as an oppressed class here on this blog. You may have that discussion all over the place, not here.
- Defenses of Big Pharma, patriarchal medicine, “elective” surgeries and treatments, i.e., cosmetic surgeries, boob jobs, face lifts, liposuction, Botox injections, and the like, “weight loss” surgeries, c-sections, removals of nondiseased organs and body parts for any reason. People will do whatever they will do, that’s up to them, I do not stand in judgment on anyone’s personal decisions or what she has done to herself, or he has done to himself, attempting to survive in this world. But. These practices will not be defended here. Big Pharma and patriarchal medicine are gigantic, rich, greedy, exploitive conglomerates which have caused and continue to cause immeasurable harm and destruction to the planet, to human beings, to animals. That is what we are going to talk about here.
- Defenses of medical or other surgical procedures forced on human beings without their consent, whether it is circumcision, female genital mutilation, surgeries performed on infants and young people born intersex or with “ambiguous” genitalia, the “Ashley Treatment”, or most procedures forced on the mentally ill and those considered disabled. See above re Big Pharm and patriarchal medicine.
- Defenses of religious fundamentalism of any type, anywhere in the world.
The above “dissenting points of view” will not receive a welcome on my blog. Almost anywhere you want to go, read, write, on the internet, mainstream media, television, radio, newspapers, wherever, you can find all the information you want to find, all the discussions you may want to have, on everything listed up there.
While we may discuss the defenses commonly offered for the above in the course of critique or discussion, I am not going to engage in arguments here with people who are actively defending practices, ideologies, institutions which hurt human beings, animals or the planet.